Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Shifts in Music, Shifts in Tone

Earlier this month, I wrote on Supernatural Underground about how music was key to my creative process when I am working.  I know of a number of authors that get their muse settled through music.  With me, it allows me to transport to another place.  I detach from reality and for a time, there is only my character.  There are days such a thing is heavenly.

And there are days when it is Hell.  I've recently had that problem with Gage.  The music that had carried us through Angel's Ink and Dead Man's Deal, as well as three short stories is no longer working.  I glare at that page as Gage stares mutely at me, occasionally flipping me the bird. 

Every time I would start working, I was too aware that the music I had once lost myself in was now grating.  It didn't work.  It didn't fit.  Sadly, it took me a while to realize that Gage had changed.  He'd grown, but my music choices hadn't changed with him. 

When I worked with Mira, I didn't see sharp changes in music.  The flow from old music to new music was slower, but her growth as a character tended to be a lot slower.  Gage doesn't have the opportunity for such small changes.  The book I'm working on has some very unexpected developments that are knocking him out of his comfort zones.  It's taking him to some dark places and as a result, the change in music has been a little more drastic.

However, I am happy to report that Gage and I have found a nice mix of songs to work to.  We've thrown out much of the old music that was used for the prior two books and we've got a new playlist. The only thing that worries me now is that Mira approves of the new playlist.

3 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Oh no! Shouldn't Mira be taking a break? ;)

Jocelynn Drake said...

I've found that Mira likes to keep an eye on things. :)

Unknown said...

Maybe we will hear more from her..