Monday, August 26, 2013

750 Words

I'm making progress on my latest project.  Gage is talking to me again.  Sometimes I think that the poor guy just needed a break.  I don't blame him.  I think I needed one too.  During that time, we sat down and looked at the situation before us.  When writing a series, it's sometimes hard to gain perspective about where you're going in the longer term when your eyes are so focused on the pages that need to be written now.  Does that make any sense?

Well, Gage and I figured a few things out, which would probably explain why some darker music has started creeping into our playlist.  Now that we know where we're going and how we might get there, the words are starting to hit the page with greater ease.

In the meantime, we've also found a new toy that is proving to be rather addictive.    It's called 750 words.  It's based on the idea of sitting down to write three pages (or 750 words) every morning to help clear out the cobwebs.  It's allowing yourself to purge all the crazy from your brain.  It lets you write down all the zany, strange, and fantastic ideas that are floating around in your imagination.  It's a great way to spur new ideas and also to get you in the habit of writing every day.  Here: just check out the website. They explain it better.

I think the part that's so additive for me is the goals.  You get points for writing.  There are silly badges and streaks. As an avid gamer, I'm addicted to points, streaks, badges, and trophies.  I'm interested to see if my average daily word count rises because I'm playing on this site.

2 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I'm a fan of 750 words. I found it a couple years ago and it's a good reminder to write.
~Summer

Jocelynn Drake said...

I've discovered that I'm a stats addict when it comes to writing. I love knowing how long it takes me to write something. It takes away a lot of excuses about not having time to write just 1K words. :) It's a pretty cool site.