Wednesday, November 14, 2012

NaNo-ing the Night Away

I've got a couple of quick updates that I want to pass along.  If you've been wanting to read my story in the BLOOD BY MOONLIGHT anthology but don't like reading e-books, I have some good news.  The short anthology is now available in print.  If you'd like more details, please click here.

Also, if you like audio books and have been wanting to hear ANGEL'S INK, the audio book was released yesterday!  For more details on the audio book, please click here.

In the meantime, I am spending little bits of my nights chugging away on a pair of projects for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).  I don't know if I'm going to hit my goal of 50,000 words by the end of the month, but I'm not too far behind at the moment.  I might actually make it. 

On the other hand, copy edits for DEAD MAN'S DEAL (Book 2 in the Asylum Tales) is slated to land on my doorstep on November 21 and I have a feeling that those edits will put a halt to all my new words for a while.

But I don't mind.  I've gotten some good words down on "paper" and I've gotten some good plotting completed (which is always the hardest part).

At the moment, I've got a solid chunk of secret project #1 complete.  However, the story lacks structure and long-term plotting.  In fact (as I warned my agent), this project has been me vomiting words on the page as quickly as I can type with the promise that I will swing back around later to clean it up.  This is not my usual style.  When I start working on a book, I have already made copious notes on the world, characters, and plot.  I know where I am headed and who's along for the journey.  My current attempt harkens back to when I started writing as a teen and I just threw everything down on the page, confident that the mess would sort itself out later.  The whole thing is a breakneck race, which has been a lot of fun.  I couldn't write an entire book like this any longer, but it's been a good experiment.



Secret project #2 is something I just kicked off and I'm aiming to finish the first chapter tonight.  This one has a rough plot outline and character notes.  I already know the things I need to accomplish for the book as well as how it's going to end.  The writing will be slower on this one, but the main difference between project #1 and #2 is in the drafts.  To get #1 in working order, I will probably need to complete 3-4 rough drafts.  To get project #2 in good order, I will probably only need 2 drafts.



The most popular question among new writers is: is one process better than the other?  That's the wrong question to be asking.  The important question is: when the revisions are finished, will it be a good book?  It doesn't matter how you write the book.  The important thing is to tell a good story.

Happy Writing/Reading!

No comments: