Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Take Me As I Am

I come before you empty-handed this afternoon. I noticed that during the past couple blog entries, I've presented nifty images of book covers, but I've run out of covers to give you. I can't even begin to guess at what the cover for book 4 is going to look like. Heck, I don't even know the title yet. But at least I know how it's going to end...

Today has been a good writing day. Book 4 revisions have gone relatively smoothly. I think this one has had the most new chapters added so far. At the moment, chapters 1 and 20 are brand-spanking new, while the original chapters 1-3 were completely ripped out. I finished work on chapter 20 today and I'm very happy with it. It managed to develop two different characters, add a bit of action and tension, and further the plot. Not a bad accomplishment. In fact, I'm quite pleased with the performance of one character in particular. He's been pretty quiet so far, but he surprised me when he stepped it up a notch today. It's a direction that I wasn't necessarily planning for him, but I'm pleased with the direction that he's decided to take. He's taking control of his life and making some interesting choices. I wish him luck.

I know this all sounds a little odd, but I've had these characters rattling around in my head for so long, they're so like living, breathing people to me. When I'm working on a novel, I try to leave enough room within the plot of the story for the characters to make surprising breakouts and leaps forward, or sometimes backwards. Sure, somewhere in my brain I'm coming up with these ideas, but it doesn't feel like it sometimes. It's more like someone whispering in my ear.

On a happy note, I've found a new bit of music to work to on this novel. I've recently gotten hooked on the new Marilyn Manson album. I've written to his other work in the past, but I've noticed that I've recently been needing something fresh and most of my downloads during the past couple of months have been relatively mellow. Mellow does not help when it comes to writing fight scenes.

Looking ahead, I recently remembered that I've got a deleted scene lying around for Dawnbreaker. I will get with my Web site designer and try to get it posted during the next week. I'll post an update as to when it finally hits the site. Also, next week I'll try to hold a new contest. But first, I must finish the edits on Book 4.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jocelynn!

Glad edits on book 4 are going good, I wonder what character managed to jump off the page and taking contol of his life? hmmmm...

Dottie :)

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Looking forward to Dawnbreaker! :) And so glad edits on book 4 are working out okay.

When you "delete" chapters etc, do you DELETE them entirely or cut and paste them elsewhere? I'm assuming you save them in some fashion just "in case". Right?

Jocelynn Drake said...

I completely delete small sections of text. However, large chunks and whole chapters are saved in a "scraps" file. I was thinking of posting some of the deleted scenes when it gets closer to the book release. I do have one planned for release for Dawnbreaker.