Saturday, November 22, 2008

Through the Trees

I can see the houses in the subdivision behind my house. Up until about a week ago, those houses had been obscured by a wall of yellow and brown leaves. I noticed for the first time this morning that the leaves were completely gone and I could now stare through the bare limbs to see my somewhat distant neighbors. I don’t mean to be anti-social, but I have to admit that I preferred the leaves whether they be green, yellow, or brown.

I know it’s still more than a month away, but it’s winter in Cincinnati. Now, don’t get me wrong. Our winters aren’t that bad. We’re not plagued with constant sub-zero temperatures and mountains of snow. Winters here generally comprise of gray skies, cold weather, and overwhelming dreariness that kind of leaves a weight upon the soul.

Is it any wonder that I fully intend to begin work on book 4 this afternoon? I know I’m supposed to be taking a break. I tried last night. I tried to pick out a movie to watch, but nothing sounded good. I tried playing a video game, but after an hour, I was bored. I’m afraid to pick up a book to read, knowing that I’m going to be working on my own Book 3 edits soon. In the end, the only way I know how to keep the winter blues away is a combination of Mira and Danaus.

Just some quick updates and reminders:

On Sunday, November 23, I will be giving a reading at Northern Kentucky University along with four other authors at 2 p.m. I will not be reading from the Dark Days series. I’ve decided to give my nightwalkers a break and I’m bringing another short story that I wrote a couple years ago that I am still fond of.

I will also be attending the RomanticTimes Conference in Wednesday, April 22 through Sunday, April 26. I will be on a panel on Thursday, at 2:30 p.m. (I think) discussing what it takes to write a series. I will have more details the closer we get to the actual date.

1 comment:

Roxanne Skelly said...

I'm from Seattle, and we're no strangers to endless greyness and cold, damp weather. There's a reason we're the world capital of coffee, it's liquid sunshine.
I also suspect sales of those full-spectrum lights for SADS are quite high here.
Fortunately, we're also the capital of evergreen trees. The 30 foot tall one in my back yard does a fair job of blocking out some of my neighbors.

Good luck on fighting the dreariness. A trip to Hawaii in January might help :)
rox