Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back Home Again

I'm back home again, and missing Savannah already. I was tempted to pop in my DVD of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" tonight just so I could revisit all the places that I got to see. I know, I'm a sad little creature.

In other news, I heard from my editor that they are already preparing for Book 3's cover conference. To my understanding, that's when the art, marketing, and editorial groups all get together to brainstorm on what the cover should look like. As you will notice, I am not a part of that meeting. No, unless you're a massive big-wig writer, you don't have much say in your cover. My editor is nice enough to ask me if I have any particular thoughts as to what I would like to see on the cover, or what I would prefer not to see, but it really doesn't go beyond that. And in truth, it's probably for the best. My specialty is not knowing what covers will catch your eye and convince you to buy my book. My job is just to write a damn good book. I'll leave the flashy covers to the experts.

In the meantime, it's back to writing again. I'm excited to be getting back into the story. I needed the break and the trip to Savannah was successful in recharging my batteries. Of course, the funny thing is that now that I have all this great information on Savannah crammed into my head, I can't use it just yet. In the part of Book 3 that I am currently working on, the gang is leaving Savannah and headed to their next remote location. Isn't that just my luck?!? Some of the info will be worked into the story during the revisions while more will be saved for later books.

No comments: