Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book Signing: Planning for Crazy

Book signing day!
It's book signing day!
I so hope you can make it tonight.  I'm pulling together some notes now of things that I plan to announce, things to discuss, and things to potentially read.  I'm thinking of bringing a section of the new book, but I might also bring a bit of short story as well.  Finding something to read for the new series is a little difficult as Gage has a dirty mouth and I really don't want to read some of his comments out loud at a nice quiet book store.  But we shall see.

After a really rough night of sleep, my brain is slowly shifting into gear and coherent thought is starting to occur.  Of course, this comes with the dedicated help of coffee.  This is a good thing as the copyedits for my next novel just arrived on my doorstep.  Yep, it's time to dive back into the first book and I am sooooo looking forward to it.  Most of the time, I hate copyedits.  For many of the books I've written, I've read them so many times by the time the copyedits arrive that I'm sick of them.  I'm so focused on the words and structure that I can no longer see the story.

But for this book, I've had a nice long break.  Since this book was approved by my editor, I've written two novellas and started the second book.  That's a lot of time for me to think about the world and lay groundwork for potential future adventures.  There's no telling if I'll ever get the chance to tell more stories than what I've been contracted for, but I like to be prepared.

Odd thing:  With the exception of Danaus's one book (Pray for Dawn), the new series is the first thing that I've written from a man's point of view for any extended period of time.  I had always avoided it because, being a female, I was afraid that I couldn't do it well.  I mean, how well could I actually get into a man's head and use his voice?  Well, I'm hoping pretty well, because I love writing from Gage's POV and I love writing from a guy's POV.  I've very addicting.  There's something very freeing and fluid about it.  I'm hoping to stay in this perspective for a while longer, I'm having so much fun.

I loved writing as Mira, but she could frequently get bogged down with emotions and weighing decisions and many other things.  Gage encounters many of the same things, but he also manages to shrug and think, "I'll deal with it when I have to deal with it and worrying isn't going to help anything.  Might as well go have a drink." 

Okay, enough rambling.  I've got a huge pile of work to get done before tonight.  Head over to the Joseph-Beth in Crestview Hill, Kentucky tonight for my brand of crazy.  It's going to be an adventure.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

So if we promise to be not so quiet and if they don't give you a microphone, can we have a snippet from Gage? *G*

Jocelynn Drake said...

lol. I'm still trying to figure out what to bring. I think I'll just bring a stack of stuff and decide when I get a look at the gathering. :)