When I was young, I grew up with a large dog my mother had named Misty. She was a big shaggy dog colored black, brown, and white. She was the sweetest, most even-tempered dog I have ever known, which is saying a lot since she was stuck with two annoying brats (myself and my brother). She used to pick the tomatoes off the vine in the backyard and suck the juice out. And I recall one time when we had mice, she used to chase them around the house with my dad as he swatted a broom -- this is before we got our fix cat. She died many years ago, but she lived a good, long life.
The second dog we had growing up was a little yappy thing that I named Sugar. She was small and I used to dress her up in my doll dresses (poor thing). I took her for walks and let her sleep curled up next to me on the bed. We had a couple sweaters that we put on her in the winter when it snowed. She was my constant companion and confidant during some really tough years growing up. She was happy and enthusiastic up until the last year of her life.
I haven't had a dog since Misty and Sugar, but we're planning to get two. So in their memory, here is today's blog post. Please help!
Pedigree has decided to launch a Write a Post, Help a Dog Campaign. For those of you who missed the event last year in September, 391 bloggers wrote about the program and with each post, Pedigree donated 20 pounds of its Healthy Longevity dog food to shelter animals. In all, 7,820 pounds of food was donated to two shelters known across the country for their dedication to the care and re-homing of senior dogs: Muttville Senior Dog Rescue in San Francisco and Castaway Critters in Harrisburg, Pa.
How you can help in 2011
Simply spread the word about Write a Post, Help a Dog 2011 and once again Pedigree will donate 20 pounds of food for each blog post. If you don’t have a blog feel free to tweet about the campaign or share on Facebook so your friends who do blog can participate. All bloggers are welcome even if you do not generally talk about pets on your blog. Its all about using Social Media for Social Good.
Here’s how it works:
- The Write a Post, Help a Dog program is aimed at raising awareness of the more then 4 million dogs that wind up in shelters and breed rescues each year. As well as to help get them all food (our goal is 10,000 lbs of food in the next two weeks) for the more than four million dogs that wind up in shelters and breed rescues each year.
- For each blog post mentioning the Pedigree Foundation from now until midnight ET on September 3, Pedigree will donate 20 pounds of its new dry Pedigree recipe food for dogs — its best recipe ever — to a shelter, because every dog deserves leading nutrition.
- Feel free to mae your post more visually appealing by using either or both of the two images seen in this post.
- The Pedigree Foundation — a 501 (C)(3) nonprofit organization is committed to helping dogs by providing grants to shelters and rescues and encouraging dog adoption. This year the Foundation has already raised more than $376,570 against its goal of $1.5 million to carry out its work to fund grants that not only help shelters operate, but to further shelter innovations.
- Donate online at http://pedigreefoundation.org/donate.aspx
- Apply for a shelter grant from the Pedigree Foundation by completing a form at www.pedigreefoundation.org
- Purchase Dogs Rule Gear at www.dogsrulegear.com where the proceeds go to the Pedigree Foundation to help loving dogs find a home. SPECIAL OFFER: Get 10 percent off Dogs Rule Gear by using the promo code BlogPaws10 from August 22 – September 30.
Once you get your post up and ready please feel free to grab the link code to include it in your post and add your link to the list so it is easier to keep track of all the posts plus it makes it so easy for your friends to learn about the event and see the progress we are making towards our goal of 10,000 lbs of food.
This is a Blog Hop! 26 entries so far... you're next!
You are next...