Sunday, July 25, 2010

San Diego Comic Con Recap

I realized belatedly that I missed a day of Comic Con blogging, but then, it's been pretty insane here, so I'm glad to have kept up as well as I have. We're currently packed, shoving posters, comic books, and other swag into our overstuffed luggage. I thought I would do a quick recap of the final two days before we left for the airport.

On Friday, my brothers and I hit the panels. I saw a panel on Stargate: Universe, Caprica, and finally, the one we had been waiting for: Big Bang Theory. Wil Wheaton was the moderator and he brought out the Bare Naked Ladies to play the theme music to the show. The panel was fabulous. The actors were hilarious and the whole thing was just wonderful. I filmed an hour of it and I will try to post a little bit on Youtube at some point when I stop traveling.

After that, I booked it to my own panel where we talked about vampires and other creepy creatures. I finally got the chance to meet the amazing Richard Kadrey, the author of Sandman Slim. It was a fantastic panel and we had a very large crowd, which was more than a little intimidating, but fun. From the panel, we hurried over to our own book signing. I got to meet some fans and sign some books -- always a pleasure.

From there, it was an amazing dinner with my editor. If you are ever in San Diego, I highly recommend the Indigo Grill. The food was to die for. We talked Comic Con and books and just being exhausted from the trip.

On Saturday, I played Clark Kent. I went as incognito as possible without wearing a costume. I was officially off duty. My brother and I started the day off standing in line to win tickets for autographs and we got them! First off, we got the chance to meet Adam and Jamie from Mythbusters. I know I shouldn't be this way, but meeting them had my hands shaking. They were both so wonderful and pleasant. It was an honor and a joy to meet the men that have taught my brothers and me so much about blowing stuff up.

Later in the afternoon, we headed over to the autograph section again and we got to meet Grant, Kari, and Tory, who were mindblowingly awesome. We told them about how we make our own hwacha every Fourth of July -- and they were seriously impressed--- and we thanked them for blowing up non-dairy creamer. We got to shake their hands and Tory even asked my name. (Insert girlish squeal!!!!)

Finally, we rushed back down to the exhibit floor where we got to meet the men of the Boondock Saints. Sean Patrick Flannery was pacing the booth, talking to fans and doing interviews. He also did a line from Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day -- it was a call and response and I was the only one who shouted out the lines. He was impressed and I blushed! I met the writer/director Troy Duffy and I got a special autograph from him along with my comic books autographed. I also got to meet the comic book artist and David Della Rocco, who was very kind.

By the end of that, we were exhausted and headed back to the hotel, ending our Comic Con adventure. Now it's time to head home. To see the pictures, check out my photo album on Facebook.

I will be home all day on Monday and then I head out to Romance Writers of America conference in Orlando, Florida.

No comments: