Monday, December 17, 2007

First Chapters

I'm back. The weekend was spent with family, celebrating Christmas with my mother's side of the family. I also tried to get a little shopping done as well, but it is was little difficult with the icy roads.


In some good news, my agent emailed to say that my check for my first book is on it way! It still surprises me some days to realize that I'm getting paid for this. Also, my editor emailed to say that another author cover quote has rolled in and it is fantastic!!!! The two amazing authors that are gracing my book with their praise have made me blush. It's really an honor to know that I have impressed them.


The quotes have also helped to settle some of my writing concerns. I'm working on book 2 at the moment, but some of the progress has slowed. I've stopped to re-consider the opening of the book. The opening is your one shot to catch a reader's attention. The hard part for me is balancing the readers who have read the first book (and know what it going on) against those readers who found book 2 first (and don't know all the background). Exciting, gripping, and informative, without feeling redundant. Ugh. I think second books are harder than first books.


Or maybe all books are first books. Each book, regardless of its place in a series, comes with its own special batch of complications, complexities, and oddities that you haven't encountered before.

No comments: