Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Edits ... At Last

Sigh... ask and ye shall receive.
In other words, I opened my big mouth and my edits were waiting in a large yellow envelope on my doorstep when I arrived home this evening.

There is something very unnerving about knowing someone has gone over your manuscript, using a microscope, a scalpel, and a pair of tweezers. Along with the manuscript was a short style guide, a list of some of my more obscure vocabulary (such as Abu Simbel and souq), and another list of all the characters, even if they appeared as only a brief one-line mention. My job is to check over the book, make sure I agree with all their changes, answer any questions they have, and find anything that I feel still needs to changed. All using a colored pencil. Naturally, my first thought was "Crap! Do I even owe any pencils, let alone a colored one?!?" To my great surprise, I do. I now just hope one of the cats don't steal it.

Sadly, this means the New Project must now get packed away, as I promised. It's a little frustrating because I have reached this key turning point to the whole story and I really, really want to write it.

Oh well, it does mean that I am headed back in to the world of vampires and hunters and dark, scary things that bite in the night....ah, my second home.

2 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

When my first (hard copy) edits came in, I had to ask #1 to bring home a red pen. We actually didn't own any. ;-)

Unknown said...

Edits. Hate 'em.

Hang in there. You'll get to that other story.