Monday, October 8, 2007

Lost Among the Lights

No, I haven't fallen off the earth.... I'm just lost somewhere on the Vegas Strip. I'm off to a slow start this morning, trying to catch up on some rest after two extremely long, completely sleepless days. Vegas is an amazing place, a visual overload that surrounds you at all times. I secured a fabulous suite at Caesars Palace, which is a nice central location. I haven't had the chance to go to any of the nightclubs, but I have made the rounds at a number of the bars.

My favorite is the Red Square in Mandalay Bay. The Russian-themed, red-lit, decaying classical decor is rich and bold, crying out with an old-world opulence. The caviar was exquisite, and the vodka... (sigh)... the vodka was perfect. The first night we managed to secure a circular booth that gave us a great view of the entire bar. It was a great, relaxing night of drinking and people watching. A truly decadent moment in time. Last night, we went back and there was live music. The two musicians on guitars were taking requests, and their depth of songs was very impressive. They ranged from Johnny Cash to Prince to Garth Brooks to AC/DC to Van Halen to Jimmy Buffet -- in other words, a little bit of everything.

If I finally get moving, I am going to do a little light sightseeing and then I am meeting a friend for dinner at Picasso in the Bellagio. I will try to post some pictures very soon... I'm just not that organized right now.

No comments: