Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Break From Writing ... Almost

So, with the book in the hands of my editor, I am officially taking a break from writing. At least, that's the plan. I did manage to finish one book this evening that I had been chipping away at for a couple of months. And I also culled my to-be-read (TBR) pile down to a slim 20 books. That was only accomplished by allowing each author no more than one book in the pile. I'm behind on several Jim Butcher and LK Hamilton books, but they only got one each. There were several other books that weren't allowed in the pile because they would have removed me too far from the mindset I need to be in for Nightwalker and the second book in the series. The TBR pile consists mostly of urban fantasy, but there are a couple exceptions, including one nonfiction.... though I use that term lightly. It's an autobiography and really, do you expect people to be all that honest? But if it turns out to be a good book, I'll pass it along.

With the TBR staring at me, what do I pick up? The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook. I just can't help myself. There's a story that has been churning around in my head for nearly a month, but I haven't been able to fully concentrate on it due to my edits. The edits are gone now. The book is screaming to be worked on. And I can't do that until I finally give my main character a name. I can see him in my head. Standing across the room, legs slightly spread with his hands shoved in his pockets, he cocks his head to the side and a smirk quirks one corner of his mouth, as if to say "it's about time you got to me". But the expression dances between us in that gentle mocking tone of two old friends. The poor man has waited long enough. It's time for me to get back to work and show him a little attention. The TBR pile will just have to wait a little while longer.

No comments: