Monday, December 23, 2013

Lost in the Weather

I announced at the beginning of the month that I was moving... again -- because you know, there's just not enough chaos in the Drake household.  Well, I started my new job last week and I'm already loving it.  Sure, it doesn't hurt that it's in sunny South Florida where their daytime temperature is still kissing 80 on occasion and they have no need for a heavy winter coat. 

My brief trip down last week was a bit of a culture shock for me.  December, and particularly Christmas, has always been a time of winter coats, snow-covered hills, and the bitter touch of cold wind.  On Wednesday, I bundled up in several layers as I drove to the airport in Wisconsin, but when I stepped outside the airport in Fort Lauderdale, I was rushing to peal of layers down to a short-sleeve shirt and jeans.  My mind immediately did a time warp.  My body was convinced that it was no longer December, but I'd skipped winter and it was now early May.
But... there were Christmas decoration everywhere.  And Christmas music was playing over the speakers.  "Sleigh bells jingling..." There were no sleigh bells in Florida.  Or snowmen. 

I will say that the Floridians were just as cheerful about the holiday season even if they weren't wearing long underwear and wool caps like the rest of the country.  I found an enormous Christmas tree in a town square and a small ice rink for kids to skate on.  I haven't a clue as to how they were keeping the "ice" frozen in the 70+ temperature, but it was cute.   

By Friday, I was back on a series of planes, heading to the great white north.  Wisconsin was just a cold as I had left it, but I was now being welcomed back with freezing rain.  And when I woke on Sunday morning, the ground had been coated in what looked to be 6 inches of fresh snow.  Seeing the snow-frosted pines, I felt like I'd returned to December.  I'm glad that I'm having one last white Christmas before the big move.  I've spent too many years as this scene being my norm for December that it will be a little while before I can make the switch, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Talking about Christmas and traditions, I have new blog post over at Supernatural Underground talking about some of my favorite holiday traditions.  Stop by and check it out.

Also, don't forget that ANGEL'S INK is still on sale for only $1.99.  Now is a great time to start the series if you haven't already.  ANGEL'S INK  would also make a great gift for  anyone who loves urban fantasy. 

3 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Still can't believe you're moving again so soon! And so far away from my state, not that you were super close before, but I have relatives in Wisconsin. Oh well! Hope your last white Christmas is extra special!

Also hope your move goes smoothly! Congrats on the new job too! And again, Happy Holidays! :D

Jocelynn Drake said...

Thanks! I can't believe we're moving already too. But I'm looking forward to warm sun and the beach.

Enigma75 said...

I'll missing having one of my favorite author's living 1.5 hours from me. Good luck in the sunshine state!!