Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dreaming of Tattoos

Sigh.
**Shoves hands into pockets, fishes around, pulls out lint**
Yeah, I got nothing today.

I think it's time for me to give up the dream of having a normal sleep schedule.  I have a wonky insomnia.  I can't fall asleep at night until after three, but it's usually more like four or five when sleep finally hits.  I hate it because I don't like to write past 11 at night -- I'm afraid my brain isn't awake enough for it -- and I feel like it's time wasted.  I tried some over-the-counter sleeping pills the other day and that was a mistake.  I was groggy and half-asleep all day regardless of how much caffeine I ingested.  I've got some Sleepy Time hot tea I'm going to try, but I think I should just accept it.  Asleep at 5am and awake at 11am.

Speaking of sleep, I fell asleep thinking about Gage, the main character of my new series, last night.  I take this as a good sign.  When I was working on the Dark Days series, I was constantly falling asleep with thoughts of Mira and Danaus.  Most of it was daydreaming and asking "what if?", but it was nice to have them in my brain, allowing me to get to know them better.  The characters of the Tattoo Artist hadn't been showing up until now.  I think we're finally getting comfortable with each other and they are going to be more willing to tell me their secrets.

So, today I am going to a book signing and discussion featuring R.A. Salvatore.  I will admit that I haven't read his books, though I own three.  My O.H. is a big fan so I am taking him.  I just like listening to other authors talk about their work.  The worlds we create can be so real to us, and it's nice to be talking to someone who gets just as lost in their own world as I do in mine.

In another random thought, a fellow writer I am acquainted with mentioned that she's looking for a low-residency MFA program.  I am debated going back to school to get a terminal degree in writing several times over the past few years.  A part of me misses just being in college.  But I think a larger part of me would like to pass along some of the knowledge that I've acquired over the years to other students wanting to write books.  Of course, time and money are factors, but it's nice to dream.

Today will be a day of dreaming.  I will dream about graduate school and dark elves and tattoo artists with little smirky smiles who are in love with blonde elves.  I will dream about trolls and getting my short story done and chocolate and someone who refills my coffee cup.  I will dream...

No comments: