Thursday, February 26, 2009

Social Networking Insanity

Most writers will agree that the Internet is a massive time suck. Sure, it's fantastic for some quick research on the type of tree that can be found in most of the parks in the historic district of Savannah, Georgia, but when I'm researching on the Web, I never stop with me finding the data. I find other interesting things to read and other great links to click on so that what should have taken 10 minutes at the most has now sucked more than an hour of my writing time away. It's sad. And I know I'm not the only one that experiences this. I know of a number of writers who work on computers that are not connected to the Internet in an effort to avoid this potential time suck.

It's more than just research on the Web. I'm learning that social networking sites are becoming a massive diversion for me as well. Sure, they are a great way to keep in touch with my readers and I love to answer questions, but I find myself regularly drifting over to my email, blogs, or MySpace page just to see if anyone needs anything when I Should Be Writing. I guess I just lack discipline. I should know better and I'll admit that I let things go a little better when I'm under a time crunch (which is developing as we speak).

So, why do I bring up this topic? Not so I could ramble for 248 words. No, it's because a blog reader was kind enough to point out that I'm getting a little love on Facebook. I'll admit that I've avoided setting up a Facebook account. I thought a Blogger account, a LiveJournal account, a MySpace account, and now Twitter was enough exposure for any one author. Or rather, it was about all I could handle.

So, out of rampant curiosity, I've set up a poll on my Blogger account asking which social networking site you prefer. If Facebook gets enough votes, I'll consider starting a page.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate MySpace. Facebook is dying. I think the craze will be over soon.
I am really enjoying Twitter. I have been on it for almost a year and still use it daily. Facebook, I used for the first couple of months then it got boring.

Anonymous said...

I love Facebook! I've been having a lot of fun keeping in touch with everyone, seeing their pictures, posting articles, etc etc that it has been a huge addiction for me. I'm always on there it seems.

mySpace, in my opinion, is so restrictive compared to Facebook. There's so much more you can do with Facebook than mySpace that it's awesome. I've even heard of authors publishing their books via Facebook groups. mySpace is definitely dying, but I don't see Facebook dying any time soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelynn:

Of course, given that stumbled upon your Facebook fan club, I'm a rabid Facebook user.

Facebook is addictive. There are tons of people on there I hadn't heard from in years, so it was fun to get back in touch and see what everyone was up to.