Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Night Off

I made it back home from New York City late last night so there was no time to update my blog until now. The meetings all went well, but I think I'm catching a cold from all this nasty weather we're having. I've decided to take the night off and relax. My editor has Book 3 and plans are coming together for the February Comic-con. Everything is flowing smoothly along. Later this month, I will receive the edits for the novella I wrote, but in the meantime, I'll be digging back into my work on Book 4.

In other randomness, I had a blog reader recently ask me for a list of some other great paranormal/urban fantasy writers. Well, I feel a little bad trying to create this list. You see, I pretty much stopped reading urban fantasty after I started writing it professionally. I am afraid of being influenced by someone else. I did do a lot of reading before hand, but I know I've missed out on a lot of great writers.

So here is a very brief list of some great urban fantasy/paranormal romance writers that I have read and enjoyed. At least this should serve as a good starting point.

Kim Harrison
Rachel Vincent
Charlaine Harris -- Sookie Stackhouse
Vicki Pettersson
Laurell K. Hamilton (the early years of the Anita Blake series -- I have gotten around to reading that last 8 books or so)
Jim Butcher -- Dresden series
Simon Green -- Nightside series
Jenna Black
Christine Feehan -- Carpathian series
Lynsay Sands
Anne Rice
Kerrelyn Sparks
Katie MacAlister


So if I'm not allowed to read UF any longer, what am I reading?
Raymond Feist
Dean Knootz
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett

But that's assuming that I've got some free time from writing... which I don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jocelynn for the list, most are already on mine, but there are several who are not. I'm going to pick up the anthologies that I've missed, waiting patiently for Unbound, which I anticipate to be very good.
Thanks, Dottie