Tuesday, December 4, 2007

BAMM: Edits Are Done

I was visiting Rachel Vincent's blog today, and noticed she was also in mid-Happy Dance due to the fact that her second book, Rogue, is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Unlike me, she was also smart enough to check Barnes & Noble as well as Borders. While I shop at both brick-and-mortar locations, it didn't occur to me to check... I was overwhelmed with excitement to just have Amazon. However, B&N and Borders haven't picked up my book yet. On the bright side, Books-A-Million does have it listed. Rogue is slated for release on April 1, 2008, while Nightwalker: A Dark Days Novel isn't due out until the late July/early August.

In other news, the edits have been shipped back to my editor. For the first time in a while, I enjoyed reading my book. I loved writing it, but I could never remove myself enough from the process to really enjoy reading it. This time, there was no pressure to re-write scenes, tweak the plot, or worry about characterization. I was able to go through the book, check for grammar and inconsistencies, and just enjoy the roller-coaster ride I sent my beloved characters on.

I'm also starting to hear back from some other authors who have gotten their hands on my book, and they are saying some positive things. I've received one excellent cover quote and I have hoping for a few more.

But now it's back to the grind. With the plot and chaos I've created in Nightwalker still fresh in my mind, I am going to spend the rest of this week hammering out the plot and subplots of Book 2. The bulk of it has been written, but I want this book to be about the same length of Nightwalker, which means I've got somewhere between 20,000 to 30,000 more words I am free to add. WhooHoo! I love having room to develop my subplots. Sure, I'm generally digging a deeper hole for my characters to try to escape, but it's so much fun.

Also, before I forget, I posted over on Fangs, Fur, & Fey yesterday. Be sure to catch my thoughts over there, as well as hear from some other great writers in the Urban Fantasy genre.

No comments: